Maine Surface Finishing is an engineering company offering a range of fabricated components and assemblies which includes a surface finishing operation by powder coating or wet spraying. The Company has four production facilities based in Coleraine, Dunloy, Garvagh and Magherafelt.
Job Title – Welder
Reports To -Team Leader, Production Supervisor, Production Manager
Job Summary – The purpose of the role is to ensure the successful production of bespoke products to customer requirements throughout the welding and fabrication area.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Skills & Abilities
- Weld a range of assembly types, from basic to complex, to the required tolerances and specification working from fabrication or engineering drawings.
- Utilise jigs, measuring equipment and dimensional control methods to ensure the dimensional accuracy of the finished item.
- Carry out inspections, identify defects and take appropriate action to rectify them. Escalate to Line Manager where necessary.
- Perform the required weld processes.
Use of Material & Equipment
- Set up and operate all welding equipment and machinery to manufacturer’s specification/approved weld procedures and correct methods of work. Including associated basic hand tools.
- Demonstrate due care and respect for company equipment, tools and machinery completing preventative maintenance where appropriate.
- Ensure optimum use of materials within your control to minimise scrap / wastage.
- Work to agreed output targets and deadlines, communicating status and progress to your Line Manger as the work progresses and identify the reasons for missing or exceeding agreed output targets and apply the learning to future works.
- Consistently produce work to the required company quality standards and customer specifications (dimensional, visual, identification, associated paperwork where required).
- Practise problem solving and troubleshooting techniques as part of a team responsible for realising continuous improvement to products and processes.
- Consistently follow company procedures in relation to safe working practices, recognising hazardous situations and reporting risks and accidents.
- Maintain a clean and organised work area.
- Provide general support to management and assist with overflow work from colleagues as needed.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by communicating and collaborating with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
- Adhere to Health and Safety policies and procedures.
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the Management Team within Maine Surface Finishing.
- 2 years’ experience in MIG/MAG welding to a high standard of various dimensions and types of metal. Working on bespoke products and a range of material thickness from 2 mm – 25 mm
- Ability to understand engineering drawings and prepare assemblies understanding how the final product should look.
- Ability to see flaws in welding or structural imperfections in the metal.
- Takes full responsibility for quality, quantity and inspection of work performed.
- Good understanding of customer deliverables and the impact of failure and cost of poor quality.
- Ability to work hard to maintain constantly changing product flow through a busy shop floor.
- Ability to work on own initiative to resolve any weld related issues.
- Previous experience of finishing operations.
- Fluent in English and the ability to follow verbal instructions.
- Strong team player with the ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent attendance record and flexible with time.
- Reliable and punctual with a positive attitude.
- Must be willing to be cross-trained and move to other areas when needed.
- Welding certification to recognised standards.
- Qualified as a coded welder
- Previous experience of TIG welding.
- Coded Welder qualification
- Forklift License
- Certified and have previous experience in overhead cranes and gantries
KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING
- Experience of working to production targets.
- Able to maintain accurate job tracking records.
- Experienced with a variety of tools and equipment with knowledge of their most efficient usage.
- Knowledge of the classification and specific uses of welding consumables.
- Knowledge of the imperfections/defects that may occur during welding and their causes.
- Knowledge of the techniques utilised to deposit defect free butt and fillet welds.
- Basic mathematical calculations and unit conversion skills.
- Understands the importance of a quality finish for the follow-on painting and powder-coating processes.
Stamina: Due to the nature of the role you will be on your feet for long periods of time.
Strength: Ability to lift and hold heavy pieces of metal during the fabrication/weld process.
Concentration: Give your attention fully to a project for long periods of time. Able to remain committed to your work and ensure all aspects are completed correctly.
Safety Awareness: Aware of the safety standards required within the industry for protection of yourself and others.
Detail-Orientation: Very detail-oriented when completing a project, not overlooking anything that could have larger, unwanted effects.
Manual Dexterity: Working with your hands, it is crucial that they are steady during the welding process with good hand-eye coordination.
Good Eyesight: Sharp vision and able to see intricate details in a work area.
Weld a range of assembly types, utilise jigs, working from fabrication or engineering drawings
To Apply: Please click on the link below
Please note that either a CV or completed Application Form will be accepted. We do however require a completed Equality Monitoring form for each applicant.